OpenLivingLab Days 2023 - LIVING LABS FOR AN ERA OF TRANSITIONS: How human-centric innovation is changing our lives
OpenLivingLab Days is the flagship annual event organized by the European Network of Living Labs (ENoLL). It is a highly-anticipated gathering that brings together living labbers, public officials, corporate leaders, entrepreneurs, academics, and innovators from around the world. The event offers a unique platform for networking, exchanging best practices, and collaborating on cutting-edge projects and for reflecting on the latest trends and how to shape the future.
The 2023 edition of OpenLivingLab Days will be held in the vibrant city of Barcelona, Spain from September 21-23, 2023. It is our pleasure to announce that the event will be co-organized by three esteemed local living labs: CVC, i2Cat, and La Fura del Baus.
Living labs for an era of transitions
“How human-centric innovation is changing our lives”
The theme of this year’s event, “Living Labs for an Era of Transitions: How Human-Centric Innovation is Changing Our Lives,” explores how living labs can be a powerful mechanism for driving positive change in society. Our discussions will focus on the pivotal role that human-centric innovation plays in shaping our lives, and how living labs can be effectively deployed to achieve this goal. The conference will delve into the five different tracks that form the core of the event:
- Green Transition: This track focuses on how living labs can contribute to the transition towards a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly society. It will explore how living labs can help to develop, test and implement innovative solutions for reducing greenhouse gas emissions, promoting circular economy, improving energy efficiency and conservation, and preserving biodiversity.
- Digital Transition: This track focuses on how living labs can support the digital transformation of society by experimenting and testing innovative technologies and services, and by involving citizens and stakeholders in the co-creation process. It will explore how living labs can help to design and implement solutions that leverage digital technologies to enhance the quality of life, increase efficiency, support Public Administrations, and foster economic growth.
- Social Transition: This track focuses on how living labs can contribute to the social transformation of society by experimenting and testing innovative social and cultural practices, services, and products, and by involving citizens and stakeholders in the co-creation process. It will explore how living labs can help to design and implement solutions that address social challenges such as social exclusion, inequality, and marginalization.
- Just Transition: This track focuses on how living labs can contribute to a fair and equitable transition toward a sustainable and digital society, by ensuring that no one is left behind. It will explore how living labs can help to design and implement solutions that promote social justice, gender equality, human rights, and inclusiveness, and that foster a participatory and democratic approach to innovation.
- Living Lab Transition: Methodologies and Impact: This track focuses on the methodologies, tools, and evaluation frameworks used in living labs, and on their impact on society and innovation. It will explore how living labs can be designed and implemented to maximize their impact on society, by fostering collaboration, creativity, and learning, and by promoting ethical and responsible innovation. It will also discuss how living labs can contribute to the development of a new paradigm of innovation that is more human-centered, democratic, and sustainable.
What to expect
The OpenLivingLab Days is a unique event that will feature a diverse array of research sessions, hands-on workshops, and interactive discussions, providing attendees with a unique opportunity to learn about the latest trends and developments in the field of living labs. With presentations from high-level speakers and industry experts, attendees can expect to gain valuable insights into the latest research findings, methodologies, and innovative solutions.
The living lab experience will be brought to life once again through the three-day conference. The panel discussions, research presentations and workshops will be held on Thursday 21 September and Friday 22 September, while the last day of the conference, Saturday 23 September, is reserved for site visits to local innovation spaces and living labs.
At the forefront of the event will be the hands-on workshops, offering an opportunity for attendees to collaborate and share their ideas in a dynamic, hands-on setting. We encourage participants from a variety of backgrounds to submit workshop proposals. Whether you’re an academic researcher, a business leader, a community organizer, or a government official, your unique perspective and expertise can contribute to the success of the workshops.
Networking and social events
The conference will provide a variety of networking opportunities for attendees to connect and collaborate with professionals from diverse fields. These opportunities are designed to facilitate meaningful connections and collaborations among attendees. Whether attendees want to make new contacts, learn from peers, or simply relax and have fun, there will be something for everyone. From interactive discussions to hands-on workshops, attendees can expect exciting and engaging activities that promote networking and relationship building.
The annual Networking Dinner & Cultural Event will provide attendees with the perfect setting to network in style, enjoying a delicious meal and drinks while mingling with colleagues and new acquaintances.
The conference will feature a dynamic array of exhibition booths that showcase the latest initiatives in the living lab world. From cutting-edge technologies to innovative solutions, the dedicated exhibition area is the perfect place to discover what living labs have to offer.
In addition to offering a platform for organizations to showcase their offerings, the exhibition area will also facilitate networking opportunities for attendees. This space will serve as a valuable venue for establishing new professional connections, fostering potential collaborations, and staying up-to-date with the latest developments in the living lab community.
Day 0 – the Learning Lab
The Learning Lab Day is a one-day training offered to starter living labs and other living lab enthusiasts, giving them the opportunity to learn all about the key elements and operations of living labs. The Learning Lab Day takes place one day before the OpenLivingLab Days on 20 September.